This is one of my favourite meals. It takes a while to cook but really easy to make and once all served up, looks and taste pretty impressive.
Eisbein is a Pork knuckle that's covered in a thick layer of fat, it's a very tender meat with a aromatic flavour. Originally a German dish served with sauerkraut. You can also serve it with beetroot and mash potatoe, or/and salad.
- 4 cured and smoked shank
- 2 onion, cut into quarters
- 2 Carrot, chopped
- 1 Bay leaf
1. Add all the ingredients into a large saucepan and cover with water.
2. Bring saucepan to the boil.
3. Reduce heat, simmer for 1,5hours, or until meat is tender.
4. Once dry remove shanks from saucepan and pat dry.
5. Score the skin diagonally across and add salt.
6. Put the shanks in a hot fire flame or under a hot grill to get a nice crisp crackling.
Plate up and enjoy!